WHAT DOES DAPTC DO? - The Dorset Association of Parish and Town Councils provides advice, support, training and assistance to its member councils, many of whom employ only one official, the Clerk. Apart from the Town Councils this is usually on a part-time basis. The advice and support offered by DAPTC is backed-up by the Association's links with the National Association of Local Councils (NALC) to which it is affiliated.
WHAT SERVICES DOES DAPTC PROVIDE?
SPECIALIST ADVICE - DAPTC is able to advise member councils on a wide range of
issues pertinent to their work and role including:
- Legal Advice - Legal queries, relating to the work of parish and town councils, are referred if necessary to the qualified legal specialists at NALC.
- Procedural Advice - Advice on procedural matters for member councils is normally answered in-house although more complex or unusual queries may be referred to NALC.
- Financial and Insurance Advice -Depending on their complexity, such queries are either handled in-house or referred to NALC.
DISSEMINATION OF CURRENT INFORMATION
- Newsletter - DAPTC regularly emails an e-newsletter to clerks. The newsletter provides up to date information and changes to local government legislation.
- Circulars - DAPTC acts as a filter for the huge amount of consultative, legal and administrative information, mainly received from the Government. It then issues its own Circulars as regular mailings to the Clerks of member councils.
- Publications - DAPTC holds a stock of specialist publications which are available for members to purchase; these publications are also available to non-members at a premium.
LIASION WITH LOCAL STATUTORY AND VOLUNTARY ORGANISATIONS
- Other Tiers of Local Government in Dorset - DAPTC has close and friendly ties with Dorset County Council and with all the District and Borough Councils in Dorset. A Charter which formally recognises the need for partnership working between all three tiers of local government in Dorset was signed in 1996.
- Voluntary and Other Local Organisations - DAPTC maintains links with appropriate voluntary organisations in Dorset and has particularly close links with Dorset Community Action which facilities local community involvement in rural Dorset, together with providing support for voluntary organisations in the county.
DORSET COUNTY TRAINING
DAPTC offers training in line with the National Training Strategy
Training courses and other sessions are organised regularly for both Clerks and Councillors of parish and town councils. The training courses cover a wide range of subjects providing essential training to those new to local council work and refresher training for the more experienced.
Seminars - Seminars provide updates on new legislation, Government initiatives and subjects of general interest to all Clerks, Councillors and Chairmen.
NATIONAL AND LOCAL LOBBYING
At the National Level Lobbying at the national level is usually carried out in co-ordination with our National Association but, for example, following a resolution at the DAPTC AGM, DAPTC may lobby Government Ministries direct. DAPTC regularly responds to appropriate Government consultation papers on behalf of its members.
Local Lobbying Whenever appropriate, DAPTC lobbies the County, District and Borough Councils in Dorset on behalf of our members on specific issues of concern to them. DAPTC is also a member of many committees and consultative bodies, including the Dorset Strategic Partnership, thus representing first tier councils throughout Dorset.